quinta-feira, 2 de abril de 2015

Ruby Oliver Series by E. Lockhart

Hey guys, today I'm here to day a series review for the Ruby Oliver books, for those who don't know what this is about the summary of the first book "Ruby Oliver is 15 and has a shrink. She knows it’s unusual, but give her a break—she’s had a rough 10 days. In the past 10 days she:
lost her boyfriend (#13 on the list), lost her best friend (Kim), lost all her other friends (Nora, Cricket), did something suspicious with a boy (#10), did something advanced with a boy (#15), had an argument with a boy (#14), drank her first beer (someone handed it to her), got caught by her mom (ag!), had a panic attack (scary),lost a lacrosse game (she’s the goalie), failed a math test (she’ll make it up), hurt Meghan’s feelings (even though they aren’t really friends), became a social outcast (no one to sit with at lunch) and had graffiti written about her in the girls’ bathroom (who knows what was in the boys’!?!). 
But don’t worry—Ruby lives to tell the tale. And make more lists."

The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver

In this book we get to know why Ruby's life is such a mess, the whole book is make in the form of lists (of the 15 guys that Ruby liked on her life), at first this format was kind of  disjointed because we would start remembering something about Ruby's childhood and then go back  to present day and then go back to the time of the debacles that put gave her the panics attacks. But I got used to it and about halfway through it was already really easy to put things on order on my head.

We also, by the end of this, get to know about the whole debacles (as Ruby call it) and this book is kind of a more introductory one, Ruby progress a little from the start to the end of it, but it's definitely the one more immature and more full of unnecessary drama - I don't mean this as a bad thing, on the contrary, Lockhart deals with teens dynamics as a master and I could totally recall similarities with fights I had with my friends when we were younger.

The Boy Book: A Study of Habits and Behaviors, Plus Techniques for Taming them

This book was the beginning of my love story for this series, while I did liked the first book I wasn't completely head over heels for it, but on this one Ruby won me over. In this book she is starting over, with her old friends and Jackson still totally ignoring her she has to start a new group of friend and a new life - I totally loved Noel, Meghan and Nora (Nora hangs out with them in this book right?), each of them bringed something to their little group and here was when my love for Noel started to happen too.

The trip at the end (?) of this one was great too, I loved the talk Kim and Ruby had and it shows how much Ruby grew so far. If I had to change one thing on this one: I would kill Jackson on the most slow and painful way. Oh also, at the beginning of each chapter there is an excerpt from The Boy Book - a book Ruby and Kim (and occasionally Cricket and Nora) would write about the things they learned about boys.

The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon - and me, Ruby Oliver

Oh my god, this book you guys, this book finally has a scene that I have been waiting my whole life (ok, not true, but my whole life since I started this series) - Ruby finally realises what a looser Jackson is and join the winning side! No spoilers about what happened but it was a scene from the end and while I read I was like "YOU GO GIRL". Anyway, this book also had a great message of feminism (as all the books on this series but this one specially) when Ruby convince the boys to help on the bake sell that is usually run only by girls. 

On the friendship/romantic front I think this was the one that most annoyed me, because I felt like there was some unnecessary drama but still totally believable to happen with teens. I was probably just annoyed because I want so badly to my ship to sail.


Real Live Boyfriends: Yes. Boyfriends, Plural. If My Life Weren't Complicated, I Wouldn't be Ruby Oliver

This book you guys, Lockhart was so, so mean with my heart - this is definitely the more "serious" one of the series (I mean, if you would call one of the Ruby Oliver books serious), Ruby is finally on the senior year and things get bad right from the start - this time around not just friends fights but also with hecr family. I don't want to tell much about it's plot, just my feels and I have to tells that at the end I did teared up a little bit because of feels, my poor baby Noel. 

BUT I did felt like a lot of the book (the Gideon's parts) where such a filler, that scenes were there just because it needed to have some intrigue before the happy couple could work on their issues and march out on the sunset. Despite that I loved every second of this (THERE ISN'T JACKSON ON THIS ONE FINALLY!!) and it's with a sad heart that I say goodbye to Ruby and all her craziness - unless Lockhart decides to write about Ruby on college, which a totally support! 

 I recommend this series to every contemporary lover but specially the ones that love books like Georgia Nicholson, or The Princess Diaries or even Geek Girl. Or if you have a friend/relative that is a teenager I super recommend this series as a gift - they will probably enjoy it! 


Nenhum comentário :

Postar um comentário