quinta-feira, 22 de janeiro de 2015

Scarlet - A.C. Gaughen

Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen
Series: Scarlet #1
Published by Bloomsbury USA on February 14, 2012
Pages: 292
Genres: Historical Fiction, Retellings, Adventure
Format: eBook
Source: Purchased

Amazon • The Book Depository • Goodreads 


The people of Nottinghamshire know Will Scarlet as Robin Hood’s shadow, a slip of a boy who throws daggers with deadly accuracy and an accomplished thief with an unerring eye for treasure. A select few know that Will is actually Scarlet, a young woman “recruited” by Robin two years earlier as he wandered the alleys of London. But no one knows who the real Scarlet is, what she was doing in London, and how she got that scar on her cheek. That is, no one but Gisbourne, the ruthless thief-taker just hired by the sheriff to capture Robin and his band.
 I'm a strong mood reader, and being like this sometimes can be a pain in the ass because it makes you start about a thousand books and finish one. Well right now I'm in one of those phases and the one book that keep me reading was Scarlet, so let's see what this book has of special.

For starters this book doesn't have a single dull time, seriously this is action packed at it most, we have so much action sequences with Scarlet and her band - the general plot is that the city of Nottinghamshire has a terrible sheriff who will do basically anything to get his taxes, including kill the town people, so is on the hands of the band to steal enough money to pay everyone taxes on time - this ends up giving a lot of room for action, because they are running out of time and need to go stealing a lot and well, they can get caught and things can get ugly. One little complaint is the plot of the series isn't all that clear until the very ending of the book, I mean you can always guess but it's never really defined and it still can not be what I'm guessing it is, so yeah it can be kind of a bump not known where this is going.

But it wasn't all action and kicking ass there was also romance, which I'm torn. Let me explain, there is a love triangle, but it seemed like such an unnecessary love triangle seriously is so obvious for who Scarlet has true feelings that every time the other dude made a move (for more sweet that it was) I would just roll my eyes and pray to this end quickly - gladly (I think) this was resolved by the end of this book, now I hope Scarlet will have eyes only for her one true love and give me lot of swoon scenes on the next installment. Also, it would have been a lot less awkward if the other dude didn't had feelings for Scarlet at all - I mean image he seeing Scarlet kissing and making heart eyes for her actual love #awkward.

Me when my OTP declares their eternal love for each other

Other nitpick about this one is the language because it's writing in a dialect, it was kind of hard to get into it first but the action keep me entertained and when I saw I was totally into the story and without any problem understanding what the hell was going on. The setting too could have been more fleshed out, I guess the language is this way because of the time but taking this from this book it could have taken place anywhere on England, I wish  there was more descriptions of the village and that I could have a felt of this place that Scarlet and the others fight so hard to keep.

But still this one was definitely a winner, I ready it super fast each time I had a chance to pick it up and I can see myself wanting to re-read it over and over. I super recommend this book to everyone but specially for readers who want something fast paced, doesn't mind a little bit of cliche on their romances and love original retellings.

Nenhum comentário :

Postar um comentário