quinta-feira, 17 de setembro de 2015

The Boy Next Door - Meg Cabot

The Boy Next Door by Meg Cabot
Series: Boy #1 
Published by Avon on October 11, 2012



To: You (you)
From: Human Resources (human.resources@thenyjournal.com)
Subject: This Book

Dear Reader,

This is an automated message from the Human Resources Division of the New York Journal, New York City's leading photo-newspaper. Please be aware that according to our records you have not yet read this book. What exactly are you waiting for? This book has it all:

*Humor
*Romance
*Cooking tips
*Great Danes
*Heroine in peril
*Dolphin-shaped driftwood sculptures


If you wish to read about any of the above, please do not hesitate to head to the checkout counter, where you will be paired with a sales associate who will work to help you buy this book.

We here at the New York Journal are a team. We win as a team, and lose as one as well. Don't you want to be on the winning team?

Sincerely,

Human Resources Division
New York Journal

Please note that failure to read this book may result in suspension or dismissal from this store.

*********This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage mechanism.*********
I entered the re-read challenge at the start of this year and so far have been failing miserably, but I have found myself coming back to old favorites from time to time when the mood strikes and this time was the chance for "The Boy Next Door". I have to say that I was very nervous about it, because this is an old favorite of mine, I think I read it the first time when I was about 11 or 12 and re-read it obsessively during my teen years so to say that I was desperate to it to hold up my good memories of it is an understatement. Of course, this being one of the old Meg Cabot books I had nothing to worry about.

This book is a perfect one sitting reading since is wrote on the form of e-mails, making the reading experience very easy to follow and engaging. One think that surprised me was how hilarious I thought this was this time around, I found myself laughing out loud at so many times - I don't know if I just didn't remembered this aspect or if I didn't understood a lot of these passages when I was younger.

Mel is definitely one of my favorite heroines by Meg, she is smart and funny and wit, also obsessed with celebrity and always search for a excuse to buy new clothes, she knows shit about coking and drink bears and just and all around person - I really love how feminist her character sounds without ever being preachy. Actually all this book has such a feminist tone, I just love how I could see on this re-read how much Meg Cabot influenced on my way of thinking when I was growing up with her heroines without me ever noticing, just flawless.

The romance is just as cute as I remembered. John is such a sweet guy and I loved everything about him and the build up of their relationship, from their insta-attraction to their actually being together was just completely cheese and I loved every second of it.

We also kind of have a mystery on this one, but let me tell you it's very subplot and only at the start and the ending that it really matters to the story, this is mostly a romance but still it was nice to have the mystery to break from it at times.

I'm glad to report that "The boy next door" is still a favorite of mine and I think it will continue this way for a very long time. Super recommend this one if you like sweet romances, is looking for a book wrote on a different format and/or is looking for a quickly funny read.

Nenhum comentário :

Postar um comentário