segunda-feira, 11 de janeiro de 2016

Catching Jordan - Miranda Kenneally

Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally
Series: Hundred Oaks #1
Published on November 8, 2011 by Sourcebooks Fire


ONE OF THE BOYS

What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university.

But everything she's ever worked for is threatened when Ty Green moves to her school. Not only is he an amazing QB, but he's also amazingly hot. And for the first time, Jordan's feeling vulnerable. Can she keep her head in the game while her heart's on the line?
So for those who don't know Hundred Oaks is a serie of contemporary romances/coming of age stories that usually focus on sports and that have Hundred Oaks as the setting, but they don't need to be read on order or anything, they work like companion novels where you get cameos from characters of the other books of the series but each one tells a complete story within itself. My first Hundred Oaks book was Breathe, Annie, Breathe which I loved so I was excited to get to the others unfortunately Catching Jordan didn't lived up to my expectations.

Let's talk about the good first. I really loved to see Jordan on American Football and not just playing but being the captain of all of these boys, just listening (oh, yeah I listened to the audiobook of this one) about her friendship with them and see how much they respected her despite all the tabus around a girl being on a sport that is majorly male was gold, I really which we had more books like this and if we did had I think more girls would want to participate on sports in general.

But despite the good, Jordan's dad showed a lot of the bad that comes from it too. He is really against her playing and his only reasoning is because she is a girl, look I get where his worries are coming from and if I was a parent I probably would worry sick about my kid being hurt but this is no good reason for his actions, the world is already hard enough there is no need for a parent to make it even more difficult for its kid. I was really glad that Jordan at least had her brother to lighten things up on her home situations, they had a few talks on the book that are really heartwarming.

Jordan overall was an okay character, she didn't stand out on anything despite her sport skills but one thing that made her look bad on my eyes his all the girl on girl hate on this book, she has no girlfriends at all and all her remarks about other girls are judging them on the way they acted and dressed, just don't do this girl don't go making assumptions about people you don't even know just because they're different from you, don't go down that road. I was sad that this was never dealt with.

Now on to the most annoying part of this story and the reason this one was such a disappoint for me: the fucking love triangle. Right at the start of the story Jordan has a heavy case of instalove for Ty, one of the team players, so I instantly thought that was the love interest and that their romance would develop slowly, but them it didn't develop slowly things got pretty serious pretty quickly but I thought maybe they will pass through some hard shit and have to move on you know and stuff, on the side way it was clear Jordan's best friend, Henry, had a really huge crush on her but it just NEVER crossed my mind that it would turn into a love triangle because JORDAN NEVER FUCKING THOUGHT OF HENRY THAT WAY EVER. But then, then someone tells Jordan about Henry's crush and suddenly BOOM love triangle on the way. I just ugh, I hated it so much first because wtf how you only realize you like someone because some else told you and two it dragged so freaking much, look if you realize you like some one else that isn't you boyfriend first action should be to broke things off with your boyfriend and think things over. But of course that is not what happens and we have drama, and more drama, and basically all the possible love triangle drama.

So yeah, as you can see the love triangle really annoyed me it was unnecessary and dramatic and juvenile and exactly what I don't want on my books, still there was some positive messages about girls on sports and good friendships between a girl and a group of boys. If you want to read some of the Hundred Oaks books I would recommend passing this one up and getting to Breathe, Annie, Breathe, thought I still want to get to the other books of this series.

Um comentário :

  1. I read the second one of this series first and I really liked it. I don't know why I never read this one and I don't think I ever will.
    I have to check Breathe, Annie, Breathe.
    Great review!

    ResponderExcluir