sábado, 9 de janeiro de 2016

Popcorn Corner: Mean Girls (2004)

Mean Girls (2004)
Directed by Mark Waters
Written by Tina Fey
Runtime: 1 h. 36 min.
Rating: PG-13 (for sexual content, language and some teen partying)
Genre: Comedy


Raised in the African bush country by her zoologist parents, Cady Heron (Lindsay Lohan) thinks she knows about "survival of the fittest." But the law of the jungle takes on a whole new meaning when the home-schooled 15-year-old enters public high school for the first time and falls prey to the psychological warfare and unwritten social rules that teenage girls face today.


You know when you re-watch an old favorite is always a surprise what is gonna be like, if you're gonna love it again or hate it. I'm gladly to report that with Mean Girls my love for it only grew and for completely new reasons too! When I first watched it I was about nine or ten I think and my dream was to be one of The Plastics (not the mean girl part, but the cliche of super popular girls that had the most awesome fashion sense for my ten year old self) but now I loved it for whole new reasons that I didn't even noticed back them.

First of all the humor, I think a lot of the jokes where lost on me when I watched it so young but now I caught myself reading out loud so many fucking times, it wasn't just a smile or anything it was full belly laugh and just thinking back about some scenes it makes me laugh again. Also, so many of the quotes of this movie where like popular knowledge already, at least between me and my friends there is no October 3 that passes without a remark.

This is def a part of pop culture knowledge 
Other thing that got lost on me before but now made me love this movie even more was its message about the way girls treat other girls and how to work on this, I mean how many movies how slut-shamming, girl on girl hate and never ever deals with it, too many to count. I loved how this is a comedy but still has a clear character growth arc through it, not just with Cady but all The Plastics get to the end understanding that the way they used to be was wrong and changed, despite some cliched things about it I love the message it passes, more movies directed to teens should not let this behavior pass as acceptable.



Summing up I absolutely loved this one upon re-watch, it was funny and with a message that I can totally get on board with, yeah the romance was pretty cliche and not swoony at all and the characters could have used a little bit less of stereotypes but I could totally overlook this while watching and enjoy it. Super recommended to like everyone and if you don't watch it: boo, you whore.

 Verdict: 5 out 5 stars 

Nenhum comentário :

Postar um comentário