sábado, 18 de fevereiro de 2017

Reading Diary | August 2016


This will be an update of all the books that I read on August of 2016, with links to reviews already posted on the blog or a small impression on the story.

What a weird month, I actually reviewed most of the things that I read! I know, I can't believe it either. To read the reviews just click on the cover of the books.







Now, to the ones I didn't review


Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco
Series: Stalking Jack the Ripper #1
Published on September 20, 2016 by Jimmy Patterson

I enjoyed the feminist voice of the main character, she was strong and with a curiosity towards science/medicine while being also good at broderie and loving make up and pretty things, but there was more than a few sentences that sounded anachronistic, it wasn't a girl going against the barriers of her time, but a 21 century feminist voice inserted on a historical setting, there was a few other stuff that ringed untrue to me because of historical accuracy (Audrey going out at night and only with male companion, it could have been more believable if there was the use of gender bending more, the language was more modern) and that detached me from the story each time it showed up. 

The romance wasn't instalove and there was a lot of banter, Thomas kind of reminded me of a young Sherlock Holmes YET I never found myself shipping it, I think it has to do with the writing, it was just trying too hard. There is a hint of a love triangle with an arranged marriage, but we stay clear of that, thanks. Also there is a great deal of female friendship, which I loved. 



Bright Smoke, Cold Fire by Rosamund Hodge
Series: Untitled #1
Published on September 27, 2016 by Balzer + Bray

Ugh, I wanted to love this one but I was so bored the entire time and I honestly don't know what went wrong, the story was interesting and the pace was even, the world is inventive as it always is with this author but still, it didn't worked for me. I do think that if the gay ships had sailed I would have get on board with it more, instead we have too friendships with a great deal of sexual tension. I still want to re-read this one and try the second one.

Nenhum comentário :

Postar um comentário