segunda-feira, 20 de fevereiro de 2017

Reading Diary | September 2016

This will be an update of all the books that I read on September of 2016, with links to reviews already posted on the blog or a small impression on the story.

September was the month that got me high on a Meg Cabot binge, so expect a lot of her in the next books.

The Boy Is Back by Meg Cabot
Series: Boy #4
Published on October 18, 2016 by William Morrow
[This book was given to me by the Publisher. This in no way affected my opinion.]

This was the book that got me into binging (almost) all of Cabot's blacklist, it reminded me why she was my first auto-buy author and how good her books can be.

Told in the different format that the Boy series usually does this is a book that I flew through. It was hilarious and made me laugh out loud so many times, the romance was super cute and I shipped right from the start, also this time around the main character is really smart and not all pop-culture driven, but actually really organized and loves her binders, which was definitely something that made me love her even more.

Super recommended for fans of a good, light romance.

Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy by Ally Carter
Series: Gallagher Girls #2
Published on October 2, 2007 by Hyperion


This one is slightly less fun than the first one, I don't know if I have this impression because of the time it took me to read it - this book is so short that reading it in 4 days seems to break its pace. But I also think it has to do with the fact that this one seemed much more like a set up kind of story, we got to know more about the "spy word" and some very interesting new characters coughZachcough, so it seems like we are going for something bigger but were not there yet.

The ship in this one is much more shippable, especially with their banter and the time it took to actually sail. Props for not turning this into a love triangle, also props for not having slut shamming, I just love how these books are about teenager spies, with a heavy focus on the teen part and yet remain unique and not falling for the usual cliches. I'm glad I added another fun read by Carter to my reading history and can't wait to get my hands on the third one.

Boy Meets Girl by Meg Cabot
Series: Boy #2
Published on February 17, 2009 by William Morrow

I had never actually got around to reading all of the Boy's books, so after reading boy #4 I got my hands on #2 and #3 since theses are usually so much fun.

Boy Meets Girl was super fast reading, since I was sick in bed and had nothing else to do, it was less banter-y and funny than I wanted but still a good read. The romance was very much instalove and by the end of the story they're each others eternal loves so not as shippy, but it didn't bothered me while reading. It was a great read to spend a day with, but not all that memorable.





Every Boy's Got One by Meg Cabot
Series: Boys #3 
Published on January 1, 2005 by William Morrow




The more I think about this book, the less I like it, sure while I was reading I was able to keep going and brush off most of the annoying things but now that I finished I don't seem to find good things to say about it.

I hated both characters that form the main couple. Jane came of quite bipolar with the whole hate-love Europe thing, she also decides to hate every woman Cal talks/know/hook ups right from the start and she never seem to see the mistake in her ways. Cal was annoying and his character ended up being inconsistent.

The romance didn't give me any feelings besides maybe annoyance. Both her and Cal have very different ways of seeing life and they're very strong minded, I guess this was to be a romance between opposites and all of that, but they both just sounded so obnoxious whenever they went on each other about why they're right and the other was wrong just because they had a different opinion. Also, Cal does a 180 degree change about 80% into the book and it kind of ruined the whole opposites thing, so in the end we didn't get even that.

This one was also the one of the series that least explored the different format, it was mostly based on diaries entries and that just made it sound like any other book.

The best parts were the cats drawings and the author's note where we get to know more about Cabot's marriage but I can't recommend this one solely based on this, I would say to read the others of this series because they are fun romances and just skip this one.

Avalon High by Meg Cabot
Published on January 1, 2006 by HarperTeen


In a way this one was fun, because I got to know more about the Arthurian legend and it was nice putting everything together along the story and seeing how Cabot would twist to make her own story, but I never really cared about any of the characters and their relationships, so it never surpassed meh for me.










Nicola and the Viscount by Meg Cabot
Published on December 28, 2004 by HarperTeen


I don't really read historical romance so I was excited to try one by Cabot, since I already adore a lot of her other works.

Nicola is very strong minded, always with a come back and remark, not taking shit from anyone and knowing her value, with a pro feminist personality that is ahead of her time, of course in a super accurate historical novel this wouldn't fly but we're here for the cuteness and the romance, so I actually prefer the heroine to not fit the mold of her time, it definitely turns the story more fun.

The romance was super adorable, not as shipping as I expected since it's a hate-to-love thing I expected to have more feelings toward it but it still put a smile in my face in some of the scenes and their "fights" always managed to make me laugh. We have a sort of love triangle in this one, but it really doesn't bothered me at all, it was necessary for character arc and it was clear from the start how it was going to go down.

The plot is pretty straight forward too, if you haven't read the synopses yet I would recommend not reading it because it gives a lot away and just by reading it you can tell where the story is going. But even without the synopses this is a romance, so it isn't exactly worried about a unique plot full of twists and stuff, it's predictable and you know what is going to happen 100% of the time.

I would definitely recommend this one for everyone that loves Meg Cabot' works and/or want to read some historical romance, be warmed that what you see is what you get from this one - fun and predictably, a great read for a day off.

How to be Popular by Meg Cabot
Published on March 18, 2008 by HarperTeen


This one was fun, but it had a few similarities with the first Princess Diaries, at least in the romance front with the whole sorta love triangle between a girl with a popular guy when in reality she was always in love with the guy next door type (in this case literally), we didn't had any drama related to this thank god and since it's a one book novel we come full cycle, not having to way three more books to see the ship sail, as in the Princess Diaries. 

The story was pretty straight forward and predictable, the secondary characters aren't that fleshed out and the message wasn't that memorable, there are other books out there that have done this better but it was fun, quickly, if you like Meg Cabot you will probably enjoy this one.


This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab
Series: Monsters of Verity #1
Published on July 5, 2016 by Greenwillow Books


I don't know how to feel about this book. It was an unique and interesting story but for the most part of it I felt detached from its characters and was mostly bored, them in the last part I was supper into it and the characters finally gave me feelings and the friendship developed between the main characters, I mean, that ending, I almost cried... So yeah, I'm definitely excited to the second book and probably will give this one a re-read, because I feel like already knowing and caring about these characters this will be better.





I also re-read Royal Wedding, my original review can be found here.

Nenhum comentário :

Postar um comentário