segunda-feira, 13 de fevereiro de 2017

Reading Diary | May 2016

This will be an update of all the books that I read on May of 2016, with links to reviews already posted on the blog or a small impression on the story.

In May I was back from my YA drought! I re-read some favorites, discovered some new stuff and only read one literature book.

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments #1
Published on March 27, 2007 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

This was my second time reading this one cover to cover, it honestly feel like I already read it more times because I often start a re-read and forget about it oops. Anyway, I can definitely see why some people can't get into this series, the writing and its characters have grow so much in all of the books already published and this whole world of shadowhuntes just has such a bigger scoop, but I think that for fans like me it'll always be fun to get back to where all of this started and reconnect with favorite characters.

I love this book/series and hope to finish my re-read of all of the TMI and TID books so I can get to the newest series.


The Crown's Game by Evelyn Skye
Series: The Crown's Game #1 
Published on May 17, 2016 by Balzer + Bray
[This book was given to me by the Publisher. This in no way affected my opinion.]

Some thoughts on it:

- From what I read about The Night Circus (~150 pages) this one has a similar plot, it's a magical battle of sorts were the two main characters were raised to it but is more about making beautiful and magical things than an actual battle. Were this one loses is that it doesn't have the same mysterious and eerie atmosphere.

- I think that the way this book is being sold is doing it a disfavor, on the synopses it gives us a vibe that The Crown's Game is a deathly one and that the enchanters will be put through hard challenges, having to prove themselves with their magic but what we get is a game were there is never an actual battle/duel or real tension because they only do pretty things with their magic, and when they do remember that one of them has to win the game and they do something they end up gazing into each other eyes/feeling an unexpected and oh, so powerful connection and all is forgotten. 

- This will probably be a good bet for The Selection fans. It's supposed to be focused on magics and politics but it ends up being a whole lot about the romance.

- For the time that we spend on the romance is kind of funny how underdeveloped all of them ended up being. All of the romances are instalove without exceptions, Nikolai and Vika have a connection with each other because of their magic, Pasha falls head over heels over Vika because ??? reason yet unknown. I don't have a problem with instalove itself if the author convinces me there is an attraction between the characters, but there wasn't any tension, chemistry, nothing. 

- It also may appeal to Red Queen fans, since it does has some twists at the end. I have to say that I found the biggest twist pretty meh because it was very easy to predict it, since we have a lot of repetitive sentences through the story that makes it clear of what the book is trying to tell you.

- My favorite story was probably the one of Aizhana, it was the most original thing of this story and what honestly moved the plot for me, unfortunately it was such a small part.


Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
Published on August 28, 2006 by Penguin Australia

This book is super hard to talk about because it isn't a book but a masterpiece that will likely crush your soul and leave you crying. Having already tried another Marchetta book and ending up not hating, but also not loving to the levels that everyone did.

JR started slow and there is a bit of mystery to it, that kept me turning the pages but is much more about its characters and their relationships, this is what turn this book in a powerful and touching story and not just another contemporary mystery YA. 







Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta
Published on 2007 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

This book took me ages to read, almost a year because I would pick it up, read a few pages and turn into  a ugly crying mess so I had to put it down and distract myself with other reads. 

The story of SF hits way to close to home to be comfortable reading so it was hard but a hardship that paid off at the ending, it's a story about personal growth, but also about teen and first loves, it's sad and hopeful and beautiful. I don't regret reading it but I think that a re-read would have to happen waaaaaay in the future.






Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard
Series: Red Queen #2
Published on February 9, 2016 by HarperTeen

- the start was slow, but damn that last 200 or so pages made me fly through it. I didn't mind the slow start but it could be boring to readers that prefer a fast paced story.

- the pace was a bit uneven too, like there was a passage of time in the middle that just didn't fit the rest of the story. 

- in this book we get introduced to a lot of new characters and in all honesty I don't feel like I know them at all, they are nothing more than names and powers and I doubt I'll remember it until book 3 comes out. The secondary characters really need a better characterization. 

- what I did think got a better characterization was Mare's family, we get to know them more and specially Shade, making me almost cry two times on this story. 

- also, I feel like a lot of Mare inner monologues could have been edited out, there was so much repetition and she would go on and on and on, this is something that already bothered me on the first book and is happening now again. I know this is her story but damn, one time said is enough gurl. 

- I absolutely hated the thing that Aveyard did with Mare and Kilorn, [okay, so I was totally cheering that their relationship is of just friends, both being heterosexual and how hard it's to find that in YA fiction, but them he goes and declare his love for her, I screamed NO at that scene, it was so bad, I hated it with all my forces, I even texted a friend who has no clue about this story to rant with her about this.(hide spoiler)]

- but at least the romance took more of a back seat this time around, I think that sometimes Cal and Mare trip into some cliches and all but they are having a nice build up, taking their time all of that, I don't really see this story as one that needs a romance, since there is much more to explore but if there is gonna be, at least let's give it time to grow into something good. 

- even thought I marked this as a love triangle, I don't really see as that anymore. 

- I need more Maven on the next book because I love my villains and there isn't nearly enough of him this time around. 

- also more Cameron. 

- and more dark Mare, that scene on the prison, with her and Cameron, was wow, I really loved her at that moment, that is a Mare I can follow, not the whinny one. 

- oh, also at book 1 I wasn't really shocked by the twists but this time around there was some "HOLLY COW" moments.

- the plane/jet they piloted totally remembered me of AOS on season 1 and it was <3. Just wish the secondary characters shined more so that they could fit in that ragtag, band of brothers sort of feeling. 

- what I want from book three: Maven and Mare having a heart-to-heart and make-out scene because I love when the MC and the villain have that deep and dark connection (at this point I totally see them as Alina and Darkling from The Grisha trilogy), more dark Mare, more Cameron, lots of blood and fight because those are the best scenes, Mare as Queen so that at book 4 we can see the reconstruction of her Queendom.



I also re-read The Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey, you can find my original review here and Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda, original review here. I read A Noite das Mulheres Cantoras by Lídia Jorge, which surprisingly I hated, it was a super slow read and I didn't connected with any of the character, everything was just blah. 

Nenhum comentário :

Postar um comentário