quinta-feira, 9 de fevereiro de 2017

Reading Diary | March 2016

This will be an update of all the books that I read on March of 2016, with links to reviews already posted on the blog or a small impression on the story.

In March I started reading my required reads for Literature, so there is a bunch of Portuguese/Brazilian historical books that I don't really want to review here and which I don't think are all that interesting to the general public of this blog. They're: Sermões by Priest Antonio Vieira (boring to read but interesting to study), Dom Casmurro by Machado de Assis (really liked this one, is sort of a psychological realism sort of read, it goes deep within the characters personalities and subtleties, it was definitely interesting study and them read this one), The Slum by Aluísio Azevedo (liked this one more than I expected! It uses a lot of social Darwinism, so I was expecting gross descriptions and there was, but it also went deep into our urban society and it's origins, it was a quick read), Various poems by Fernando Pessoa (still prefer Alberto Caeiro to him, it was a re-read).

Then I kind of went into a non-fiction phase that lasted all of two books HA! Well, it's more than I ever read before from this gender, so I call it a win.


We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie 
Published on February 3, 2015 by Anchor 

I really enjoyed this little book, it was exactly what I expected from the title and it made me put Adichie other books on my TBR (I actually have Americanah staring at me from my bookshelf right now and complaining it's still unread). I do wish the talk was expanded and the topics presented here where more developed, I feel like a lot of the examples was fine for a lecture but since this in the book format it could have use more argumentation and a bit more from each story.

Definitely recommend if the synopses interests you, it's super short and quick to read.




Seven Brief Lessons on Physics by Carlo Rovelli 
Published on March 1, 2016 by Riverhead Books

This book got my attention because of its cover and it's said to talk about physics in an easy way that even the most inept to it may understand. It's true, it's really interesting read, in each chapter Rovelli takles a different topic trying to translate it through metaphors and explanations that make things more easy to digest and understand.

I think that if you are interest in physics in a high school level this would be interesting, but if you already have a graduate level of education in this area this one will hardly bring something new to the table.





 In March I only read 1 YA book GASPH! I know, the horror, and just to vary, it was a re-read of The Wrath & The Dawn, you can check my original review here, I also read one novella from this series, The Crown & the Arrow which was extremely short and just a scene from Khalid's POV, it was interesting but didn't really added anything new to what we had already discovered on TW&TD so it was a bit pointless too.

Nenhum comentário :

Postar um comentário